Making Beats

• Summary

• Well, I have reached the point of no return. I now know the secret of the biggest foundation of almost all genres: the rhythm, the pulse, the backbeat. So I studied and created a beat of my own. But little did I know that there is a lot more to making rhythms than the snare, hi-hat and bass drum. There are a lot of intricate parts that you have to consider. And when I say a lot, I mean A LOT. So after a few weeks of hard work (with a 2-week break in between) here it is:
  • Rhythm Terms

• Rhythm – A strong, regular, repeated pattern of sound.
  • Beat – The beat or PULSE in a piece of music is the regular rhythmic pattern. Like the beating of your heart; heartbeat.
  • Tempo – The SPEED at which a piece of music is to be played.
  • Accent – The STRESS given to a musical note.
  • Duration – The period of TIME during which a musical note is HELD OUT.
  • Meter – A specific rhythm determined by the NUMBER of beats AND the TIME VALUE assigned to each note.
  • Syncopation – The musical rhythms in a piece of music that accents a normally WEAK BEAT (off-beat/up-beat).
  • Cross Rhythm – A rhythm used simultaneously with another rhythm or rhythms. The use of two or more rhythms simultaneously.
  • Duple – When the meter of a piece of music consists of TWO BEATS per measure/bar.
  • Triple – When the meter of a piece of music consists of THREE BEATS per measure/bar.
  • Quadruple – When the meter of a piece of music consists of FOUR BEATS per measure/bar.
  • Accelerando – A gradual increase of tempo in a section of music.
  • Ritardando – A gradual decrease of tempo in a section of music.
  • Rubato – A flexible tempo in a section of music.
  • Copyright Criminals Notes

• My Beat

• What I Learned

So what did I learn from all of this? Well, I learned that there are many complications to the world of rhythm, and with so many beats to choose from, the possibilities are endless. And I’ve only scraped the surface.

TO BE CONTINUED…